International Collaborations

UCR International Agreement and MOU Policies and Procedures

UCR Partners with universities throughout the world to maintain the highest standards of teaching and research, to keep up with academic trends, and to share innovations.

The EVC & Provost makes available to UCR faculty and staff via this website, the UCR policy on international agreements (). The information provided below regarding the initiation and approval process for international agreements is based on the approved Campus Policy.


  1. What types of agreements are covered by Campus Policy 550-36?

    A formal written agreement is required for a non-binding Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) or an International Exchange or Linkage Agreement (IE Agreement) that commits University Resources. These are described below:

    A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is a non-legally binding written statement of understanding between UCR and a foreign university or a non-profit institution expressing a mutual intention to engage in a cooperative academic or research effort which does not involve a commitment of University Resources. An MOU is sometimes referred to as a "friendly" agreement that is likely to lead to subsequent specific IE Agreements (described below). University Resources means labor, materials, or assets, both monetary and non-monetary, under the control and management of the University including University funds, facilities, office space, research materials, tools, databases, library services, equipment, or the time or effort of University personnel. University assets include the University's names or marks, and all University intellectual property, including copyrighted materials and resources.

    Pre-approved text (see sample) for a Memorandum of Understanding is available on a fillable form on this website. Using the template, an MOU can be created by entering contact information specific to the organizations involved and by checking specific objectives, scope, and major activities that are relevant to the relationship. The MOU can be printed, signed, and submitted to the Extension Deanís office for archiving. Deans are authorized to approve and sign proposed MOUs that use the approved MOU template.

    If an MOU contains different wording than is found on the approved template, the agreement must be first approved by the department chair and dean before forwarding to the Extension Deanís Office to begin the approval process. The MOU will be reviewed to determine that all required elements are included and that campus resources are not being committed.

    A copy of each signed MOU must be sent to the UCR Extension Deanís Office following receipt of all appropriate signatures. The Extension Deanís Office will keep one original on behalf of the EVC & Provost (the other will be kept by the other institution) and will forward a copy of the MOU to the Office of the EVC & Provost. The MOU will be listed on the International Agreements web site.

    An International Exchange or Linkage Agreement (IE Agreement) means a written agreement between UCR and a foreign university, government, or non-profit institution that entails a commitment of one or more University Resources for academic and research purposes and has been approved by designated signatories. No UCR faculty member or official of any unit or program may commit or agree to commit University Resources to a foreign university, non-profit institution or entity for any academic or research purpose except in accordance with the terms of a duly approved and executed IE Agreement. Examples of IE Agreements include, but are not limited to exchange visits of scholars, researchers and/or administrators of UCR and the foreign entity, exchange of academic or other research information and materials by the parties, or the organization of joint conferences and/or symposia.

    IE Agreements, after receiving approval from the appropriate department chair and dean, should be forwarded to the Extension Deanís office to begin the approval process. The approval process will begin when IE Agreements are submitted to the UCR Extension Deanís Office.

  2. Who can initiate an agreement?

    MOUs and IE Agreements can be initiated by faculty members, Department Chairs, Deans, or Directors. Faculty members should consult with and gain approval from their Department Chair (in schools or colleges with departments) before submitting a proposal to their respective Dean. Draft agreements should be forwarded by the lead UCR contact with confirmation of Deanís approval or by the Dean to the UCR Extension Deanís Office.

  3. What happens when a foreign institution initiates or brings an agreement with a UCR unit?

    Any form of exchange or linkage agreement proposed to a faculty member or academic official by a foreign entity, whether it entails a commitment of University Resources or not, should be forwarded by the lead UCR contact with confirmation of Deanís approval or by the Dean to the UCR Extension Deanís Office. The Campus Counsel will determine whether the agreement meets the criteria as an IE Agreement or an MOU, the agreement will be routed accordingly.

    It is not unusual for an international visitor to arrive on campus with a standard agreement from his/her institution "in hand". We strongly advise in this instance that the campus approved MOU template be used in these instances. Even though there may not appear to be any real differences between the two documents, the approved MOU has been vetted by Campus Counsel and contains approved language and disclaimers. There may be some delay if the other party insists on using their own document, as it is essential that campus officials have time to review and, if necessary, modify the agreement.

    Academic units should be sensitive to providing an opportunity for the other institution to produce a second-language MOU or International Exchange Agreement equivalent to the English language version. It is the responsibility of the initiating academic and/or administrative unit to provide appropriate translations of draft agreements. However, it is essential that any and all second language translations be reviewed and approved by campus language translation experts.

    All documents will be in the English language or accompanied by a verified English language translation.

  4. What elements should an IE Agreement contain?
    • Identification of the campus contact and unit that will be responsible for administering and implementing the IE Agreement;
    • Description of the activity to take place under the proposed IE Agreement;
    • Identification of University Resources to be utilized;
    • Duration of agreement
    • Description of any other University commitments required.
    • Financial obligations - including tuition support benefits, teaching or research assistantships, travel expenses, housing, medical insurance coverage, or maintenance allowances - must be specifically stated in the agreement. If no such commitments are intended, a general provision should make this clear.
  5. How are agreements reviewed and approved?

    Once a proposal for an IE Agreement has been endorsed by the appropriate Dean, it should be submitted to the Extension Deanís office with assurance of Deanís approval.

    The Extension Deanís Office will facilitate the review and approval process on behalf of the EVC & Provost. The proposal will be reviewed by appropriate campus units (i.e., campus offices that might be affected by the commitment of campus resources or that can provide expertise on campus policies relevant to the agreement), Campus Counsel, and finally the EVC/Provost. Initiators are encouraged to send a draft of the IE Agreement to relevant campus offices for preliminary review prior to submission to the UCR Extension Deanís office.

    The final approved documents will be executed in duplicate by the EVC & Provost, and one executed original document will be sent to the foreign entity, and the other executed original document will be retained by the UCR Extension Deanís Office, on behalf of the Office of the EVC & Provost.

  6. Who will sign agreements?

    In addition to faculty, departmental or Deanís signatures, the signature of the Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost or the Chancellor may be required for specific MOU and IE Agreements. The approving signature requirements are applicable both to the IE Agreement and to any subsequent protocols to such an IE Agreement. Regents' approval will be required for agreements involving any contractually binding commitment to expend Regents' funds in support of an academic program, or commitments to programs not previously approved (reference (dd)(5). With those specific IE Agreements that require authorization by the Chancellor's Office, the Extension Deanís Office will consult with and obtain the additional signature of the Chancellor.

    If a decision is made to submit an MOU prepared from the MOU template, the Dean may sign that MOU and forward a finished, signed copy (by both institutions) to the UCR Extension Deanís Office. The Extension Deanís Office will keep the original on behalf of the EVC & Provost and will forward a copy of the MOU to the Office of the EVC & Provost.

  7. What happens while the agreement is being reviewed?

    The UCR Extension Deanís Office will advise the faculty member or academic official of the status of the review. Questions about the status of reviews should be directed to:    mou@ucx.ucr.edu  x2-4346

    Sufficient lead time should be included in the request process to allow for adequate review by the appropriate campus units. While a proposed IE Agreement is under review, departments or units may not make any informal or formal, oral or written commitment of University Resources or other form of agreement with the foreign university, non-profit institution or entity.

  8. Are there international agreements that are not covered by Campus Policy 550-36?

    The following types of proposed agreements are not covered:

    • A proposal for a research contract or grant submitted jointly with a foreign entity to an agency for funding. For more information, contact the .
    • A proposal for the purchase or sale of services or products. For more information, contact .
    • A proposal to affiliate with an educational institution, governmental agency, hospital or similar organization to provide for the training of enrolled students in furtherance of the UCR mission. For further information, contact the .
    • Individual visits by visiting researchers who have signed the appropriate UCR Visitor Agreement and UC Patent Acknowledgement Forms. For further information contact the appropriate Deanís office.
  9. What is the duration of IE Agreements and MOUs?

    Duration of agreements must be specified. The duration of the term of an MOU or IE Agreement and its related protocols will be limited to not more than five years.

    Prior to the end of the term of the Agreement, upon request of the responsible department or unit, the IE Agreement or protocol will be reviewed for reauthorization. This review will be facilitated by the UCR Extension Deanís Office on behalf of the EVC & Provost or Chancellor, as appropriate. Requests for such reauthorization should be made well in advance of the expiration of the term of the agreement.

    Every two years, on February 1st, the UCR faculty contact will provide the EVC & Provost with a brief report summarizing the activity for the previous two years and plans for the next two years.

  10. Who is responsible for IE Agreements and MOUs?

    The sponsoring UCR faculty, Director, or Dean will be responsible for providing oversight and administration of all activities specified within the agreement. The Office of the EVC & Provost will not assume responsibility for the administration or implementation of IE Agreements, nor will those offices be responsible for the allocation of any resources in support of IE Agreements.

  11. Where are original IE Agreements and MOUs maintained?

    The Extension Deanís Office will be the Office of Record for all IE Agreements and MOUs, on behalf of the EVC & Provost.

    Once the agreement has been approved, the Extension Deanís Office will provide 2 signed copies of the agreement to the lead contact (Faculty, Dean, or Director). After the foreign institution signs, one original will be returned to UCR and submitted to the Extension Deanís Office where it will be stored on behalf of EVC & Provost.

    The Extension Deanís Office will distribute a copy of executed IE Agreement to appropriate parties on campus responsible for administering it.

    Current agreements will be listed on the UCR International Agreements web-site.

    If you have questions about the international agreement approval process or about existing agreements, please contact mou@ucx.ucr.edu or (951) 827-4346.

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Career OpportunitiesUCR Libraries
Campus StatusDirections to UCR

UCR Extension Information

UCR Extension
1200 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92507-4596

Tel: (951) 827-4346
Fax: (951) 827-2456
E-mail: mou@ucx.ucr.edu
UCR Extension Website: www.extension.ucr.edu